Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Deal of the Day, Garden Images

Today, entirely on a whim, I felt the urge to visit a local GNC on my way home from work to grab a couple more Quest bars to try that I haven't tasted yet. Lo and behold, this is what I found in a few boxes of the bars:
These are half off regular price.

So I splurged (in a sense, I wasn't planning really on buying any until my sampler box comes in Friday!) and grabbed these two flavors, Coconut Cashew and Chocolate Peanut Butter. The bars were relatively short dated (the Choc PB flavor was only a few weeks from being out of date and a bit more dense than I think it was originally haha), but they tasted okay - of these two I preferred the Coconut Cashew, but I think the main reason it was better was that it was still soft! Neither of these were "deal breaker" flavors, but they are two of the varieties of Quest bars that come without sucralose (also known as Splenda - an artificial sweetener that I generally don't ingest very often if at all). If you're interested, there are five more flavors that are sucralose free, equaling seven total that are totally natural. Cinnamon Roll is still my favorite over these two though, easily!

I also brought home a couple of out of date local goodies, specifically a Green Hill soft cow's cheese by Sweet Grass Dairy out of Thomasville and Spinach Pesto made by Orchard Pond. I've had Green Hill a number of times; for someone who doesn't like soft cheeses like brie, this actually isn't so bad. I think it pairs best with some type of sweet flavor, though, so as a low carber I am hard pressed to find something to use with it! I tried baking it with seasoned pumpkin seeds, but it was kind of messy and only somewhat okay. The Orchard Pond pestos are quite good, and I think the spinach is a favorite of mine just because it's mild; they also make kale, traditional basil, and arugula pestos - the arugula has got one heck of a kick. The spinach variety is very smooth and almost mousse like, so I greatly enjoy the texture along with the taste. I admit that I was eating it with a spoon straight out of the jar!!!
Pesto and Green Hill cheese.
My newest, somewhat reliable site for free samples is a compilation site - a website that links you to the participating free sample sign up pages. FreeSamples.org is fairly reliable and has links to each company's page to sign up for items; I do not do fan clubs and try to avoid mailing lists, but I found a large number of freebies here that were easily accessible without surrendering my firstborn! A fairly good list of the ones I participated in last night includes samples of: Nivea lotion, a free Jiffy cornbread mix cookbook, Zarbee's Children's Immune gummies, Advil PM, Zing stevia sweetener, Simply Right diapers (diaper samples, score!), Truvia sweetener, Arm and Hammer toothpaste, L'oreal shampoo, Creme of Nature shampoo, and a Henry rifles catalog and decal (for the other half!). Many of these take a number of weeks to arrive, but I am a patient lady and will probably forget half of them; who doesn't love free surprises, after all?! I only have signed up for things that I can possibly use for myself or others in my household, and who knows, we might actually like a product well enough to put a company's marketing to good use!

I also received an email from a freebies list (one of the few I have signed up for, frankly) for a free sample of Numi Tea K-Cups; I love K-Cup products and own a machine that can use K-Cups (I was too cheap for a Keurig, my Hamilton Beach FlexBrew 49995R has been perfect for a year and a half of constant use, I take it EVERYWHERE!). If you visit the RealCup Facebook page and click the tab for Numi Tea at the top of the page, you will find the prompts to sign up for a sample package with 3 K-Cup teas and a $1 off coupon.
K-Cups are not cheap. These were better than cheap: FREE!

I also received an e-mail from PINCHme today for a free sample of Allegra - the other half has constant allergies, and living in the Big Bend of Florida is the worst for anyone with seasonal allergies! The pollen is ridiculous in this area of our great nation, and we have tons of pine trees surrounding our 20 acres of homestead. I think this might be worth us trying for him for sure! Free always makes it better, and over the counter name brand meds like Allegra are VERY expensive to buy! This is the link to get your free Allegra sample; I would imagine supplies are limited, so visit soon!
Love seeing ads like this from my freebies sites, thanks PINCHme!

Alright, enough freebies, who wants to see pictures of some of my blooms? First the edible: this is Mexican Tarragon, a perennial in my area.
Small yellow blooms from my perennial tarragon. Delicious herb.
I also have a large lily plant that, for the first time in two years, decided it would bloom this year. It's quite dramatic and beautiful. It's also right beside my front door, so you can't miss it anytime you are near the house. What a wonderful way to start your day seeing such a beautiful display of color.
Lilies are wonderful. Makes me want to buy more.

As always, if you have any questions or comments please leave them for me. I will gladly answer to the best of my abilities! I am hoping in a few weeks to have pictures of chicks; our broody hen is sitting on a large nest of eggs 24-7 and wants to be a mama lol. Blogging like this gives me a deep sense of satisfaction; I work hard and love all of the beauty around me here at home and sharing the free items and discounts I find.

No comments:

Post a Comment