Sunday, May 3, 2015

Cholesterol Clarity

Since I received this book as a prize from a contest, I would like to give an honest review on it as a product much like I would other freebies. This book, written by Jimmy Moore and Dr. Eric Westman, is meant to question most of what we Americans have been taught about cholesterol in terms of what it is and why high cholesterol on a test may not be as bad as we think it is.

I admit, I am a big fan of anything regarding the low carb/high fat movement, and this book is definitely in favor of such. The two primary authors are pillars of the low carb community and attend all of the biggest functions that promotes the LC (low carb) lifestyle. This book, for myself, just further vilifies everything that I do nutritionally. I chose low carb mostly for weight loss, but I was aware of the many health benefits it could offer me even beyond weight loss. I really only had a problem with obesity and no other health issues, so I never focused on things like blood sugar levels or other markers of poor health when I picked low carb as much as the much needed weight loss.

The book uses a variety of experts (about 30) who are well known throughout the medical community to give testimonials, informative blurbs, and tons of useful information regarding the cholesterol myth that perpetuates the medical industry in the United States. Between these experts and Dr. Westman's "doctor's notes" in the book, it is a well researched and wonderful book for anyone with a cholesterol problem who needs a little advice from an alternative source. Even people who are skeptics about alternative therapies (totally believe in their doctor who wrote them a statin prescription, for example) will be thrown for a loop by the scientifically sound information given in this volume.

I personally am hopeful that the information given here eventually becomes mainstream rather than on the fringe of scientific fact. Many sick people live in the United States, mostly because they are relying upon poor medical and nutritional advice. This book tries to refute all of the decades of harmful rhetoric we've been taught and lead us towards a nutritionally based solution to the heart disease problem. It is written for everyone, even people with little or no medical knowlege; the book is easy to read and follow along with. There are definitions of terms and in depth explanations of larger concepts.

Rating - A.

Side note - my new deodorant still rocks. I do not stink nor have I had any issues with nasty sweaty arms or anything like that. It also, so far, gets a high rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment