Friday, May 15, 2015

Free Fennel - What to Do?

So, I obtained a free locally grown, organic fennel bulb today (with tops). The typical method of cooking fennel from what I gather is either pan roasting it in the oven or sometimes using it in a salad of sorts as a crunchy, licorice flavored accent. Well, I had a mind to try a slightly non-traditional method of cooking this funny looking bulb: I wanted to pan fry it and caramelize it a bit. I don't always have the best instincts with food, but I had a feeling that this would come out tasty. I still had the green onions (free also last week), so I sliced them thin with the fennel at an almost equal thinness. With a couple of tablespoons of butter, a bit of salt, and some pepper I cooked them down til the onions were caramelized; the fennel wasn't totally caramelized but it was cooked enough not to be super crunchy. For an almost entirely FREE dinner, it was delicious!

So, along with the fennel today, I brought home a few other items: three (somewhat cheap) butterfly necklaces for my mom and two daughters, a bottle of lotion by Giovanni (Avocado and Olive Oil) that I think I might also give to my mom, a dozen eggs, and collagen powder by Country Life (Maxi Skin, a new product that is supposed to be awesome with visible results after 4 weeks - I will do a full review after the bottle is gone). Today was a wonderful freebie day at work! I am hoping that Seventh Generation wipes will go on sale soon so I can use my coupon; I also need to shop around and find where Method laundry products are cheapest (I have two $3 off coupons for that too).

We have inundated with rain over the past two days, and my garden is both happy and not happy all at the same time. The plants can always use the water, especially with the excessive dry heat we've had for a week or more, but my garden is on a hill and the water runs down it and washes the soil away from some of my plants that really need the soil such as potatoes. Some of my plants are still fairly fragile, especially my dill (much sturdier than it used to be, but still very frilly and prone to falling over); I spent some time this afternoon out in the wet using the little bit of garden compost that I have available as soil to hill up some of these plants that have been having issues falling over. We actually decided to stake a couple of the potato plants (the two larger ones specifically) because no amount of shoring up the base of these guys was going to prevent them from falling over. I think everything is a little happier now; I hope we actually don't get rain tomorrow because my plants that are potted in buckets are not draining enough with the amount of water that's coming from the rain.

The only other updates I have are that, with the last $2 in my wallet, I purchased a couple of $1 scratch off tickets and won $5. That's about as close to free money as it gets for me. I also have been continuing to read this terrible book (Veganist by Kathy Freston); the science is so bad that sometimes I just don't know how to contain myself. Yet, just out of pure fascination with how delusional and wrong she is about metabolism, I continue to read this book faithfully. When I'm done I'll pass along my two cents.

I'm about done for tonight - I will try to get some pictures together tomorrow for the blog too. Keep it freebie!

No comments:

Post a Comment