Friday, May 1, 2015

Candle Making

My small business that I do in my free time is candle making. Now, normally I make my candles in 8oz metal tins, but my boss at work (oh, I sell my candles at the store I work at) requested glass containers for Mother's Day. Tonight is my grand candle experiment, and the results honestly are mixed so far. All of the typical set up steps (wicking the containers, melting wax, mixing fragrance and color, etc) have gone fine, but after pouring my candles have not set up very well. I am basically 100% inexperienced with consistency issues - I have never had an ugly batch with a metal tin! There are a few pitting issues I am having so far pretty much across the board. I don't like using the hair dryer method (if you use it on the surface of the candles it'll melt the surface only then reset when it cools - gives an unpitted top but changes the consistency of the top too)... but I might have to in this situation just to make them sellable.

So here are a few pictures of what I've been working on tonight with these babies.
 Egyptian Amber in Mason jars.
Lavender and Lace in Mason jars.
I got a new, free natural deodorant as a sample today from work. I have not had the best of luck with natural deodorants (I use Dove powder scent or unscented exclusively); for some reason they are MORE likely to break out my arms than traditional deodorants. I am going to give it a shot soon and will post a full, appropriately written review with a picture of the product as well. It's still in my car tonight and I really don't feel like going out there to get it; yep, I am lazy.

I had my last Quest bar this morning out of my 12 bar box. The Banana Nut Muffin bar was surprisingly tasty! I don't like banana flavored stuff, but this particular bar smelled just like banana nut (something) and tasted pretty close to the real thing. I would say that it isn't my absolute favorite but it would be something I'd eat again. I really enjoyed my box of bars and would totally consider reordering from Quest. They have a deal this weekend where they send a free trial packet of their Strawberry flavored protein with any order over $16 (I think it was $16). I would personally love to have an option on their website to create your own variety box for the same price as the $25.99 variety box if you order 12 bars. What do you think, Quest Nutrition?!

Until I get some more interesting items either in the mail or find another great site online I am going to be keeping these posts somewhat short and simple. I didn't do anything in the garden today, so tomorrow I am going to have to water it very well and check the weeds situation. I hope I don't have some very angry, wilted plants tomorrow. I also should have chicks in the next week or two and will keep you all up to date on their progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment