Thursday, May 14, 2015

Why Freebies?

So, with it being a slow day in the office in all ways possible, I figured I would ask an obvious question, considering I spend much of my free time dedicated to acquiring freebies (or doing other homesteading chores). WHY in the world do I do so much to get such small little free things? Well, let me try to chat about it and put it in perspective.

Even though there's no direct monetary gain in any of this that I'm doing between the blog and various websites that send me free products to try, I am almost marketing myself and my skills to receive gains in other ways than just money. We are low income, and I already have a full time job with a small business on the side; I consider my blog, freebies, and homesteading stories to all be my third job of sorts. I have always loved writing and doing things like journals and blogs, so this is not something that is difficult for me to do in a short period of time with little resources. If I can market myself in my free time, I can add additional value to my contributions to the home and maybe, one day, I can pull us out of the near poverty level that we are at now.

I believe that, with my intelligence level and writing abilities, I can be more than useful to companies and websites that are interested in people who are willing to review a product honestly with total fairness for no monetary compensation in exchange for trying the product for free. Though I am involved in the natural foods industry and have been for almost ten years, I am overall as unbiased as possible when I try different things that I gather in my website wanderings. Having something like this as a creative outlet (I have no actual artistic talent, so this is about as creative as I get) is a wonderful thing and helps keep me sane in the eye of the storm that is my life. I have so many things going on that sometimes having this blog to update is a highlight of my day!

That being said, there will always be things that I get that I in some way find fault in; we are all human and have likes AND dislikes. I am in the process of reading a book that, from the moment I read the cover and description of it, I knew I would NOT really like it but wanted to read it for the sake of having the opposite side of what I believe heard. The book, which I will do a full review of in the next week, is Veganist by Kathy Freston. I would like to note at this point in time that I did buy the book legitimately, but it was at the dollar store so I only paid a dollar plus tax (I am not sure I would spend more than that on this). I have briefly (see my first blog post ever) touched upon the fact that I am a weight loss success story at 68lbs gone forever over the past two years. I also have not made it a secret that my success can entirely be attributed to a low carbohydrate lifestyle, focusing on whole foods, a high intake of natural saturated fats (this is called a "ketogenic" diet), and avoiding more than 20g of carbohydrates per day. This book, even only a few pages in, is the antithesis of most of what I believe so this review will get interesting. Look forward to that in the future, and I will GLADLY take any questions anyone has regarding low carb and respond as best as I can.

Now you know why I like to keep it freebie! I will continue to do so as much as humanly possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment